We stand out

from the crowd

save you time

and money

help you make

the right move

Beck Solicitors are family divorce and arbitration lawyers based in Harrogate


How Can I Get Divorced?

The court will only grant you a divorce if a Judge agrees that your marriage is at an end. The legal term for this is “irretrievably broken down”. You
must satisfy the court that one or more of the following is true as proof that your marriage has ended;

  • Adultery
  • Unreasonable behaviour
  • Desertion for at least two years
  • Two years’ separation, if you both agree to the divorce
  • Five years’ separation, if there is no agreement to the divorce

Starting The Divorce Off

You will have to complete a Divorce Petition which sets out your grounds for the divorce and gives other information to the court. This document together with your original Marriage Certificate and the relevant court fee need to be filed with your local County Court who will then serve copies of the documents
upon your spouse and/or their solicitor. This is known as “serving the Petition”. Your spouse then has eight days to acknowledge receipt of the
Petition. Once the Petition has been served, what happens next depends upon whether or not your spouse contests the divorce or agrees to it.



Family Law Experts

Angela Beck of Beck Solicitors specialises in Family Law including divorce, separation, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements and children matters within divorce.

She also offers other legal services associated with divorce such as Wills and Probate and conveyancing (house sale and purchase)

Our Location

Beck Solicitors
Meeting Rooms
Copthall Bridge House,
Station Bridge,
Harrogate, HG1 1SP